Welcome to the Catalog of the Mount Desert Island Historical Society's Collections
Tips for Searching the Collection
- A general keyword search looks for the search term(s) in the whole catalog (Photographs, Documents, Library, Objects);
- If more than one word is entered, the system looks for one OR the other of the two words, e.g., Champlain OR Society;
- For records where both keywords are found, type AND between the two words, e.g., Champlain AND Society;
- For a specific phrase, enclose it in quotation marks, e.g., "Champlain Society";
- Use an asterisk as a wild card, e.g., histor* will find history, historical, histories, etc.
- Searches are not case sensitive.
- You can narrow your search by searching with a selected catalog (Photographs, Documents, Library, Objects);
- When searching a specific catalog a list of records from the catalog first appears. You may browse this list or enter your own search terms in the box;
- There are no images from negatives in the Photographs catalog;
- There are few images in the Documents catalog at present;
About the Collection
Among the highlights of the Mount Desert Island Historical Society Collection are:
- photographic works by LaRue Spiker and W.H. Ballard,
- tintypes, daguerreotypes, and cabinet cards;
- architectural drawings and papers by Fred L. Savage and Robert Patterson;
- maps and nautical charts, including a 1776 des Barres chart of MDI and an 1855 map of the United States;
- Champlain Society Logs, Journals, and Photographs;
- and papers, objects, and photographs of early Mount Desert Island families.
Please know that this catalog is a work-in-progress and that we welcome your feedback and any further information you can provide. We are especially interested in identifying people in photographs who are unknown to us.